Providing CFO services and Business Transition Services in Michigan
Holland, MI CFO
30 Years of Experience
Grand Valley State University
Certificates & Licenses:
Contact Harvey Elgersma and receive a free Discovery Analysis™
- A confidential meeting with the business owner(s), then interview company staff.
- Look at the company’s financial information and computer systems.
- Benchmark financial information against industry averages.
- Create a confidential report of our findings in The Strategy Gameplan™
Harvey is an experienced financial professional with over 30 years of diversified experience. His mission is to help business owners meet their objectives by improving cash flow, providing timely and accurate financial reporting, and developing and implementing plans to maximize the value of the business.
He is skilled in critical problem solving, risk management, mergers and acquisitions, strategic planning, continuous improvement and financial reporting. He has a thorough understanding of manufacturing and plant operations. He is knowledgeable in computer applications for all functional areas and has been involved in numerous technology implementations.
Harvey's specific experiences include:
- Restored the accuracy and faith in monthly financial reporting by implementing basic financial controls and creating repeatable processes and procedures. As a result, month-end closing went from over three weeks to three days.
- Orchestrated a financial overhaul that improved the bottom line from a $3.5 million loss to a $1.2 million profit in three years.
- Instrumental in transforming a traditional health care plan into one with a consumer directed emphasis. Over five years the annual cost increase of healthcare for both the company and the employees has averaged less than 1%. Most employees were also engaged in a progressive wellness plan that provides an opportunity to obtain free health care.
- Restructured a company's financing package in 2009. A reduction of 171 basis points was achieved while expanding the commitment.
- Directed the process of freezing a defined benefit plan and its final termination after it reached fully funded status.
- Led the move of a 401(k) plan to a new provider while enhancing the effectiveness of the plan from both a market perspective and for its participants.
- Working in a high growth environment where the company averaged multiple acquisitions per year.
- Led during troubled times when restructuring and plant closures were necessary activities.
- Extensive financial forecasting and modeling.
- Participated in a leveraged management buyout.
- Was involved in taking a company through its IPO and subsequent secondary offerings.
Harvey is a Grand Valley State University graduate with a Bachelor of Business Administration with an Accounting Emphasis. He began his accounting career in public accounting as an auditor and became a Certified Public Accountant. It was there that he first had the opportunity of working with numerous businesses.
Harvey has served as the Director of Corporate Accounting for a publicly traded manufacturer of private label OTC counter drugs and personal care products. He has also served as the CFO for a personal care products company he helped spin off from its parent company which then became privately held by local investors.
Harvey's most recent position was as the CFO of widely diversified 180 million dollar agricultural cooperative. This coop ran successful businesses in feed manufacturing, shell egg packaging and marketing, propane distribution and sales and supply and sales of agronomic inputs.
He is a member of the AICPA and MACPA and has served on the boards of a credit union and the Mid-America Cooperative Council. He has also served on the Michigan Chamber of Commerce's Heath and Human Resources Committee and is financial mentor for a local charitable organization.